Friday, October 23, 2009

Almost 3 weeks in

OK, so I've kept it up.

I have been run training on Tues, Thurs, Fri and Sunday. The plan is to weight train on Mon Wed Fri, with Saturday completely off. That means double sessions on Friday, and single sessions 5 days a week, with a total of 7 workouts of some sort each week.

Week 1 was 4 20 minute walks.

Week 2 was 4 20 minute run-walks. I worked the stopwatch on these, and gradually increased the running interval and decreased the walking interval.

Week 3 is 4 20 minute runs. I have completed 3.

I decided to do more of a traditional "powerbuilding" split with Mon devoted to back and bi's (focus on pullups), Wed devoted to leg/whole body movements (read: squat and deadlift) and Friday for bench, military press and tris. This week I only got in the Monday session. I'm just not used to this volume of work yet, as in the past, I worked 3 MAYBE 4 times a week. I'll just have to feel this out as I adapt to the new program.

Tuesday was chilly, and I wore a cotton t-shirt, wind pants, and a pair of all but new Asics Gel Kayano 15's, with a pair of "smartwool" type socks my Mother got for me last holiday season. The run was tough, as I psychologically had no idea what 20 minutes of running felt like.

Wednesday I got a pair of shoes that I bid for on ebay and forgot about because I lowballed it. Turns out I won the auction, so I have a pair of Nike Bowerman Series Zoom Structure 12+'s as well. In addition, I went out and got a couple Nike+ technical shirts, and a pair of Nike running shorts (that were long enough that I didn't feel like a Rockette). Why Nike? No reason. I just wanted a brand-name quality garment, and they were on sale. I also got a pair of headphones designed for athletic activity, and a nike armband. Lastly, I picked up some Asics sweat-wicking running socks.

Thursday was a bit warmish, so I got to wear all my new gear all by itself. First off, I will say that the technical top and bottom DO make a difference. They don't make you run faster, obviously, but not having a wet/damp t-shirt clinging to you as you run makes the comfort level MUCH higher. The new headphones were a success too, as the regular iPod headphones have to be readjusted every 2 minutes when running, as they simply fall out of your head. The armband fit me with exactly 1" to spare, which meant that only half of the velcro could attach, but it held none-the-less... my arms are just too hyyyyyuuuuuuuge I guess.

So: Structure 12+ vs: Kayano 15: The Kayanos are WAY more comfortable... its like running on two fluffy pillows of happy. On the other hand, pillows of happy aren't the most reactive running surface. The Structures are much more reactive, and you don't have as much of a "cushy" feeling when striking the ground. In addition, the Nikes feel noticeably lighter. Six of one, half dozen of the other. I'm rotating them anyway. I haven't decided if I want to give a shot to that nike+iPod system yet, but I'm considering it.

Thursday's run felt fast and easy. Surprisingly so.

Today, I had my third 20 minute run, and for whatever reason, it was hard. Maybe it was the 2 days back to back... maybe it was the fact it was a bit colder (I threw a fleece over my shirt). Who knows? Anyway, tomorrow is off, and then another 20 minute run on Sunday.

Thats all folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment